8 December 2014

Groundbreaking ceremony completed for Jewel

Source: Singapore Changi Airport.
Jewel Changi Airport Trustee (JCAT)*, a joint venture between Changi Airport Group (CAG) and CapitaMalls Asia, the shopping mall business of CapitaLand, has broken ground for the construction of Jewel Changi Airport (Jewel), a mixed-use complex featuring attractions, retail offerings, a hotel and facilities for airport operations which will be developed in front of Terminal 1 (T1). 

Strategically located in the heart of the airport, Jewel is envisaged to be a world-class lifestyle destination that will enable the Changi air hub to capture passenger mindshare, and boost Singapore’s appeal as a stopover point for travellers. The integration of retail brands and unique dining concepts with indoor gardens and leisure attractions will provide visitors with a myriad of experiences all under one roof – making Jewel a one-of-a-kind lifestyle destination.

The groundbreaking ceremony marked the commencement of expansion works for T1, which will be carried out alongside the construction of the Jewel complex. The redevelopment of the 3.5 hectare (ha) site at T1, formerly an open-air car park, allows Changi Airport to expand the terminal’s footprint, thus increasing T1’s passenger handling capacity to 24 million passengers per annum**.

Designed by a consortium of consultants comprising Safdie Architects led by Architect Moshe Safdie, as well as Benoy and local architects RSP, Jewel will seamlessly integrate greenery amid other attractions and facilities within the same building. The complex – scheduled for completion by end of 2018 – will have five storeys above ground and five basement storeys, covering a total gross floor area of about 134,000 sq m.

In line with Singapore’s reputation as a garden city, Jewel will house one of the largest indoor collections of plants in Singapore – with about 22,000 sq m of space dedicated to landscaping throughout the complex***. One of Jewel’s centrepiece attractions will be the Forest Valley, a huge five-storey garden filled with thousands of trees, plants, ferns and shrubs. Visitors can immerse themselves in the beauty of nature within this idyllic valley of verdant landscaping and waterfalls, and can even take a hike up the valley in air-conditioned comfort.

The other centrepiece of Jewel will be the 40m high Rain Vortex, expected to be the world’s tallest indoor waterfall. Additionally, the top level of Jewel will feature park space of approximately 13,000 sq m, comprising gardens, walking trails, playgrounds and dining outlets.

To strengthen Changi Airport’s appeal as a transit hub, there will be facilities in Jewel to enhance passengers’ journey. The complex will house an integrated multi-modal transport lounge offering dedicated services for fly-cruise and fly-coach passengers, such as ticketing, issuance of boarding passes and baggage transfer services. These will allow Changi to leverage new opportunities such as the growth of Singapore as a regional cruise centre. In addition, early check-in facilities in Jewel will enable passengers to check-in for their flights and deposit their luggage ahead of the regular check-in timings - providing them with added convenience.

To widen the range of accommodation options available at the airport, Jewel will offer its own hotel with approximately 130 rooms, operated by YOTEL – an international hotel brand with an established presence in Europe and the United States of America. This provides an additional choice of accommodation for transiting travellers.

The expanded T1 Arrival Hall will be seamlessly integrated with Level 1 of Jewel while the Baggage Claim Hall will also see more circulation space and the installation of additional baggage belts, operated by an upgraded baggage handling system. At the T1 Departure Hall, a revamp of the check-in counters will take place, with the incorporation of self-service kiosks. This will improve efficiency as well as optimise the space available.

Currently, only Terminals 2 and 3 are directly linked to the Changi Airport Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station. New pedestrian linkages will be constructed connecting T1 and Jewel to the MRT station, improving inter-terminal connectivity and accessibility.

Lee Seow Hiang, CAG’s Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Jewel Changi Airport Devt (JCAD)**** said: “An important hallmark of Changi Airport’s growth over the past thirty-odd years has been continual change and innovation. In charting the airport’s future, this spirit continues to underpin our strategy. Faced with intensifying competition, we challenged ourselves to rethink what an airport can be – not just as a gateway for flights, but as a tourism destination on its own."

Philip Yim, Chief Executive Officer of JCAD said: “Apart from distinctive design, Jewel will break new ground with its unique mix of attractions, retail and airport facilities, integrated in a way like never before to create a slew of different experiences in a single visit. Located at the doorstep of the award-winning Changi Airport, it will be a place where Singapore and the world meet."

*Jewel Changi Airport Trustee, the trustee-manager of Jewel Changi Airport Trust*****, is formed between Changi Airport Group (CAG) and CapitaMalls Asia (CMA), the shopping mall business of the CapitaLand Group. CAG is a 51% shareholder and unitholder of the joint venture entities while CMA owns the remaining 49%.

**This is 35% more than the 17.7 million passengers handled at T1 in 2013.

***Comparable to the combined space of the two indoor Conservatories at Gardens by the Bay.

****JCAD is the development and property manager of Jewel.

*****Jewel Changi Airport Trust is formed between Changi Airport Group (CAG) and CapitaMalls Asia (CMA), the shopping mall business of CapitaLand, to jointly own Jewel Changi Airport. The other two joint venture companies are Jewel Changi Airport Trustee, the trustee-manager of Jewel Changi Airport Trust, and Jewel Changi Airport Devt, the development and property manager of Jewel. CAG is the majority 51% unitholder and shareholder of the joint venture trust and companies, while CMA owns the remaining 49%.