30 September 2016

Beautiful.me invites Singapore shoppers to donate rice to the needy

Source: Beautiful.me.  Beautiful.me signs the memorandum of understanding with Community Chest. From left: Elise Wong, CRM Executive, Beautiful.me; Mae Kng, Senior Associate Director, Community Chest; Olive Tai, MD, Beautiful.me; Wileen Chen, Manager of Relations & Engagement, Community Chest.
Source: Beautiful.me.  Beautiful.me signs the memorandum of understanding with Community Chest. From left: Elise Wong, CRM Executive, Beautiful.me; Mae Kng, Senior Associate Director, Community Chest; Olive Tai, MD, Beautiful.me; Wileen Chen, Manager of Relations & Engagement, Community Chest.

Beautiful.me has launched the Giving Is Beautiful campaign in collaboration with Hak Yong Company, a rice importer and distributor, and the Singapore Community Chest. The initiative aims to inspire Singaporean online shoppers to donate money that will be used to purchase rice for the needy.

According to the Singapore-based members-only online shopping platform, which offers high-quality beauty, health, personal care and baby products, some 12% to 14% of Singapore residents live in poverty. As part of Beautiful.me's corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiative, every S$1 donated will be used to purchase 1kg of rice, which will then be distributed to 10 local beneficiaries:

AWWA 
Viriya Community Services 
The Singapore Cheshire Home 
Whispering Hearts Family Service Centre 
Fei Yue Family Service Centre 
Thye Hua Kwan Moral Charities 
Young Women Christian Association of Singapore (YWCA) 
Food From the Heart 

In addition, Beautiful.me will reward each donor with 'beauty coins' which can be used to purchase items on the Beautiful.me website. All proceeds from the Giving Is Beautiful campaign go directly to the participating beneficiaries. 

“CSR is always one of the focuses for Beautiful.me, as we believe that ecommerce sites are not only for shopping but a platform to do good. Many would like to donate items such as rice but are deterred by its bulkiness. Beautiful.me serves as a medium to enable the public to do good, and deliver rice to the beneficiaries,” said Olive Tai, MD, Beautiful.me. 

Chairman of the Singapore General Rice Importers Association Andrew Tan, said, “Compared to toys, clothes and other items commonly donated to the less fortunate, rice is one of the most essential items when comes to a meal for the needy families It is also one of the most bulky items to be delivered and donated by individuals public. That is why Beautiful.me and Hak Yong decided to step in and fill up the gap.” 

Ng Lingling, MD, Community Chest and Group Director Fundraising & Engagement of the National Council of Social Service said, “We are heartened by Beautiful.me's efforts in encouraging their online buyers to donate rice to the less fortunate through the charities supported by Community Chest, with their commitment to match a dollar to each kilogram of donated rice. This initiative will bring joy to those in need and demonstrate the collective impact of giving in building a caring Singapore.” 

Interested?

From now till 31 December 2016, donate as little as S$1 to donate an equivalent number of rice in kilograms. A confirmation notice and invoice will be sent by email. Donors need to sign up for a free account at www.beautiful.me to track the amount donated, trace invoices, and receive updates on CSR activities.

View the video about the Giving Is Beautiful campaign