Deepavali, also known as the Festival of Lights, marks a long weekend in Singapore and Malaysia, when road trips come to the fore. Ensuring a safe, secure, and splendid trip is paramount, and this is when it’s imperative to remember that the journey is just as crucial as the destination itself, says Kurnia Insurans.
Some tips from Kurnia Insurans include:
The pre-trip vehicle check-up
● Ensure that your brakes and battery are not just functioning, but in good condition.
● Double-check the condition of your tyres and make sure all your lights are shining brightly.
● Before embarking on extensive journeys, a professional vehicle inspection can set the stage for a flawless trip.
Stay vigilant and take breaks
● Strategically plan ample rest stops, particularly for lengthy drives, to ward off drowsiness.
● Stock up on water and wholesome snacks, keeping energy levels high and attention focused.
● Engage with passengers, allowing them to play a role in navigation, or use audio to create a harmonious journey.
Mind the weather
● Get the latest weather updates, and be monsoon-ready in particular.
● In torrential downpours, reduce your speed, increase your following distance, and use your headlights for additional illumination.
● For those sunny spells, sunglasses are your best friend, protecting your eyes while ensuring clear and comfortable vision.
Safe driving practices
● Channel your attention to the road; resist the urge to attend to your mobile phone. If you do have to do so, check it at a safe stop.
● Be vigilant about traffic signs, signals, and road markings.
● Stick to your lane and be mindful of your speed, ensuring a smooth flow and reducing the risk of accidents.
Your emergency kit
● Ensure your emergency kit is complete with first aid essentials, a reliable flashlight, and indispensable tools.
● In an emergency, maintain your composure, prioritise your safety, and immediately reach out to your 24x7 insurance helpline.
● Familiarise yourself with the basic workings of your vehicle; knowing how to change a tyre and jumpstart your car.
By prioritising road vigilance and robust safety measures, you pave the way for a successful journey, Kurnia Insurans said. The company offers auto365 Comprehensive Plus, an economical car insurance option for Malaysian road explorers. The package includes comprehensive coverage, towing aid for accidents and breakdowns, a flood relief allowance, and special care for car keys and window snatch thefts. There is a three-year warranty on workmanship repairs.