Microsoft announced updates to the freemium OneDrive cloud storage service on June 23 (US time), to take effect in the next month.
The improvements include more free storage, cheaper paid storage, and bonus storage for customers with Office 365. "The landscape is changing to the point that we believe it’s no longer enough to provide only cloud storage — that’s table stakes. We want to provide a complete experience that brings in the power of Office and lets you do more with everything you put in your OneDrive — whether it’s sharing your favourite photos with the people you care about in one simple click or working together in real time on an important project," said Omar Shahine, Group Program Manager, OneDrive.com, on the OneDrive blog.
Current subscribers will be automatically be moved to the lower prices. Following are the changes:
· Free storage to grow from 7 GB to 15 GB, as Microsoft has found that most people use less than 15 GB of storage
· Storage bundled with Office 365 subscriptions* will increase to 1 TB. In the case of Office 365 Home, which allows up to five users, it is 1 TB per user.
· Storage prices to be reduced worldwide by over 70%. For Singapore, it will cost S$3/month for 100 GB of storage, or US$1.99.
· OneDrive users who refer friends will still receive up to 5 GB (in 500 MB increments) for each friend who accepts an invitation
· OneDrive will still give you 3 GB just for activating the camera backup feature on your smartphone.
*S$9.80/month or S$98/year for Office 365 Personal
S$13.80/month or $138.00/year for Office 365 Home (up to 5 PCs or Macs)
S$108/for four years for University; OneDrive for Business customers already get 1 TB of cloud storage per person. Monthly pricing is only available if the order is made via microsoftstore.com.